February, March, April 2022 Online on zoom
Mondays 6pm-7pm EDT
Tuesdays 9-10am EDT
(Tuesdays are full)
This small group will focus on guiding writers through goals, blocks, and organization strategies for writing. The group is capped at 4 participants. These sessions will be run as a writing consulting meeting, with a focus on your individual projects and goals and weekly advice!
In these meetings, we will check in with each writer and focus on:
- group goal-setting and weekly accountability
- writing & surviving capitalism
- the business of writing and balancing writing with life
- project organization & planning
- the writer’s mental health
- sustainable writing practices and habits
- writing for the self vs. writing for audiences
- submitting to literary magazines
- maintaining stamina and inspiration for long projects
- developing your unique voice
- personalized writing assignments and reading recommendations
These meetings will re-center your writing practice in your life and make sure that you’re on track to complete your current projects while still giving yourself grace and empathy. The goal is to understand better how you work and what systems, habits, or strategies will best serve you. I’ll offer individual advice and exercises to everyone, and engaging with your fellow writers and hearing about everyone’s different processes will also inspire new possibilities in writing for you!
For four sessions the price is $111. There is one scholarship available for a writer of color, email me (email@example.com) if you’d like that spot!
If you’re an alumni of one of my classes, or a past consulting client, please sign up directly! If we haven’t worked together before, I would love it if you could email me a short 5-page writing sample and tell me a bit about your writing goals.
After payment, you will receive the zoom link for our meetings. I will also send out a welcome email one week before the session starts which will include the zoom link again, and our group google drive where we’ll do our collective goal setting each week.
Mon: Jan 31, Feb 7, 14, 21
Tues: 1, 8, 15, 22
Mon: Feb 28, Mar 7, 21, 28
Tues: 1, 8, 22, 29
Mon: 4, 11, 18, 25
Tues: 5, 12, 19, 26
Some quick policy notes:
- Meetings can be recorded and made available to the group upon request
- refunds and pro-rated refunds are possible in the case of cancellation
- Using the 3-month link above will set up a monthly subscription through Stripe — contact me at any time if you need to cancel
Alchemy, Symbolism, and the Mythic Journey
February 14 – March 25, 2022 Asynchronous on Google Classroom
This 6-week class contains self-study materials in the form of video lectures, notes, readings, guided questions, worksheets, writing assignments, and a culminating workshop week to share your writing. We’ll be deep-diving into complex symbolic topics such as the stages of alchemical storytelling, assigning symbolic roles to characters, and how to use mythic story structure.
This is an asynchronous class with no live meetings so you can complete the content on your own time. Each week has assignments in the form of writing worksheets and reading responses, and the class ends with a workshop where you will submit your own symbolic writing!
Check out the Syllabus below:
Week 1: Symbolic Literature
- Use symbols to activate cathartic storytelling
- the difference between real life and story space
- how to consciously use symbolism to tell multi-layered stories
Week 2: Soul Triptychs
- How characters represent heart, mind, body, spirit
- the Freudian triptych of Id, Ego, Superego
- Using triptychs to inspire character interactions in scenes
Week 3: Literary Alchemy
- The three stages of literary alchemy; Nigredo, Albedo, Rubedo
- Alchemical characters such as sulfur, mercury, and salt
- How alchemy can activate stronger character arcs and changes
Week 4: Hero’s Journey
- Historical importance of Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey
- How to use the Monomyth as guidance instead of feeling stifled by structure
- The most important stages of the Journey and how they mark character growth
Week 5: Heroine’s Journey
- Maureen Murdock’s response to Campbell and mythological connections to the modern
- Differences between the journeys; rescue vs. destruction
- Using mythic structures to explore our modern lives and creative nonfiction
Week 6: Workshop
- Using structures and symbolic worksheets to expand our stories
- Submit original work
- Give and receive feedback on your stories using symbolic frameworks
Sign up here for Alchemy, Symbolism, and the Mythic Journey
Tuition is $275 for 6 weeks of lectures, readings, assignments, and writing workshop. You will have access to the material through Google Drive after the class ends.